Jargon and technical terms - learn to speak Labour!
- Affiliated Supporter (of the Labour Party): a supporter who signs up through an affiliated organisation. e.g., a trades union
- AGM: Annual General Meeting – Wards, the CLP and the DLP all hold AGMs at which officers are elected and finances reviewed.
- AWS: All Women Shortlist
- BLP: Branch Labour Party or Ward
- Running the board: named after the clipboard on which the organiser records information canvassers have learned from talking to the electorate. When out doorknocking one member will “run the board” they will inform canvassers who lives at the addresses being visited and then record any information collected.
- canvassing (also called "doorknocking"): LP members calling door to door, to listen to voters views, to persuade them to vote, and identify which party they are likely to support. This is voter ID.
- CLP: Constituency Labour Party
- Contact Creator: The Party's national voter database – holds the information collected when doorknocking for example voting intention.
- Doorknocking (also called "canvassing"): LP members calling door to door, to listen to voters views, to persuade them to vote, and identify which party they are likely to support. This is voter ID
- EC: Executive Committee (of the BLP, CLP or DLP)
- GM: General Meeting (of the CLP) - meets on the last Friday of every month except August and December, usually has a guest speaker together with reports from our MP; all members are welcome
- GOTV: Get Out The Vote - At elections we call on voters who have identified as supporting Labour using voter ID
- GOTPV: Get Out The Postal Vote - At elections we call on voters who have identified as supporting Labour using voter ID
- Labour Group: the group of Labour councillors on Sheffield City Council
- LP: Labour Party
- Member (of the Labour Party): A full member of the Labour Party paying the Standard, Reduced, Youth, Student, Armed Forces or affiliated Trades Union rate. See https://join.labour.org.uk/
MembersNet: MembersNet is where you can manage your membership, update your contact details, find out about national training and campaigning resources. MembersNet includes a series of recorded webinars aimed at new members.
To access MembersNet go to https://members.labour.org.uk/home and register using your email address and party membership number; thereafter log in as you would to any other site. Your membership number can be found on your membership card and membership-related correspondence or by contacting the national Party (email@example.com ; 0345 092 2299). See also http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/membership-faqs
- NationBuilder: the Party's campaigns and volunteer management software, used to create the website you're reading now.
NEC: National Executive Committee - find out more here
- NPF: National Policy Forum
- OMOV: one member, one vote
- PLP: Parliamentary Labour Party
- Registered Supporter (of the Labour Party): A supporter who paid £3 for a vote in the 2015 leadership contest or £25 to vote in the 2016 leadership election; this expires a year after the date you joined unless you re-join as an Affiliated Supporter or full Member You can re-join at https://join.labour.org.uk/
- Short campaign: A period of time before election day during which all details of expenditure must be sent to the candidate for inclusion in their records.
- TU: Trades Union A list of trades unions affiliated to the Party can be found here www.labour.org.uk/pages/trade-union-and-labour-party-liaison-organisation-tulo
- Voter ID: Finding out and recording the voting intention of the electorate in order to then GOTV on polling day.
- Ward: the basic geographical building block of the Labour Party. Sheffield Heeley has 5: Beauchief and Greenhill, Gleadless Valley, Graves Park, Park and Arbourthorne and Richmond
- Young member: if you are under 27 you are automatically a member of Young Labour http://www.younglabour.org.uk
If you think there is anything missing from this list, please email or leave a comment below and we can add to it.